ICE's Campaign Of Terror Is Not Over, Says Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey [View all]
Source: msn/Huff Post
12h
WASHINGTON When border czar Tom Homan announced last week that the Trump administrations surge of immigration agents in Minnesota was over, he said the drawdown would begin immediately and carry through this week.
But while theres anecdotal evidence of fewer Immigration and Customs Enforcement actions around Minneapolis, federal agents are still very present and residents are still terrified. It certainly hasnt stopped, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a Thursday interview. I fully understand why people are very much on edge.
Frey said he gets daily reports on ICE activity in the city, but its not objective data because ICE doesnt share its information with his office. Instead, his team tracks the number of residents calling into 9-1-1 with reports of a family member getting kidnapped by federal agents, for example, or ICE slamming somebody on a car. When police respond to these calls and confirm ICE is on the scene, they file a report and the mayors office flags it.
This anecdotal information used to show between 10 to 30 ICE actions every day, said Frey, and over the last couple of days, those numbers have dropped to one or zero. Its a good sign, he said, but it doesnt mean much has changed materially for Minneapolis immigrants who have been so traumatized by ICEs monthslong campaign of terror against them that they havent stepped outside of their homes, in some cases, for eight or nine weeks.
Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ice-s-campaign-of-terror-is-not-over-says-minneapolis-mayor-jacob-frey/ar-AA1WLeFL