Cuba postpones its annual cigar fair as a US oil siege causes severe fuel shortages and blackouts [View all]
Source: AP
Updated 3:37 PM EST, February 14, 2026
HAVANA, Cuba (AP) Cubas annual cigar fair, which was set to be held the last week of February, has been postponed organizers said Saturday, as the island faces blackouts and severe fuel shortages brought about by a U.S oil embargo.
In a statement, the cigar fairs organizer, Habanos S.A. said it decided to postpone the iconic event to preserve its high standard of quality. Habanos S.A., a joint venture between the state-owned company Cubatabaco and international firm Altadis, holds the global monopoly on Cuban cigar sales.
Every year, the company hosts the annual Habanos Festival, a key event for cigar aficionados and distributors worldwide, where attendees tour tobacco plantations, participate in auctions and witness the latest in craftsmanship. The statement by Habanos S.A. did not set a new date for the 26th edition of the cigar fair.
Last year, the event closed with an auction in which $18 million was paid for a batch of highly coveted, hand rolled cigars. The company last year also reported record sales of $827 million. Several cultural events, including a book fair, have been postponed in Cuba this month as the island grapples with the most severe fuel shortages and power blackouts in years.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/cuba-cigars-us-blackouts-embargo-a244cacc499be0c29e1b905ed811436b